Wednesday, December 15, 2010

You're So Vein(y)...

Pregnancy continues to forge ahead. Overall, I have been feeling well. This time it hasn't been quite as easy as it was with James but not bad at all. I am currently 27 weeks along and am just easing my way into 3rd trimester.

The pictures below were taken last week (26weeks). I have many people that comment on how small I am but I sure don't feel small. In fact, last week I had my first feelings of, "I've got 3 months to go! How am I going to get any bigger?!"




The latest and greatest aches and pains I have been experiencing have been varicose veins (thus the title). Lovely, I know. And ironically, I've mainly been getting them on my left calf. It looks awful but has not been too painful yet. They do ache especially when I'm on my feet for a long time but aren't too bad. However, they are starting to get worse. I might start wearing some support socks if they get really bad. My mom got them starting with her second pregnancy and they were really painful for her. I just hope they don't become terribly painful. Anyone have experience with them? Suggestions?

We are getting really excited for baby girl's arrival. I went through a period where I had cold feet about being mom to 2 kids, especially a newborn. But thankfully, I have pretty much gotten over those gitters and am just excited. I've been reading up on labor and delivery a lot and I hope to have a successful VBAC. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much just in case.

Awhile back I mentioned that I was going to be going to a hematologist to address my low platelet issues. I was diagnosed with ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura), or in other words, low platelets for no explainable reason. Due to this, my doctor thinks that the anesthesiologist will be very hesitant to give me an epidural during labor. Ideally, I'd like to deliver naturally without medication so it is sort of a pro. However, it is always nice to have the option. The biggest downside is if they end up having to take me in for an emergency c-section, they might have to use general anesthesia and I'll be out for the whole delivery. Any suggestions on how you got through labor and delivery without meds?

8 comments:

  1. I delivered ben without any meds and I thought it would be much more painful. the worst part was his head crowning because i tore a lot. if that pain lasted any longer i would be screaming for something, but of course by then it's too late. i tried to walk around, i sat on a ball, leaned over a chair, had alex massage my back, and just kept telling myself i could do it. i've heard water works well, but i didn't feel like taking off the hospital gown. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about those darn varicose veins! I hope they won't get any more uncomfortable for you. :( Interesting about the ITP diagnoses and how they would be hesitant to do an epidural because of it. Wouldn't delivery itself, whether it be vaginally or by c-section, pose the same risks? Better not give birth! Just keep her in there! J/K :) As far as achieving an unmedicated vaginal birth I know you already know about my experience with Hypnobabies. I would still highly recommend it! A very different approach and I know everyone's experience will be different from mine, but for me, it made all the difference in making my birth very manageable and actually enjoyable. I love how throrough the education is with this program as well. If you want to learn more check out their website: http://www.hypnobabies.com I am always willing to talk about it if you have more questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are a champ...all the way around. You look great and as cute as can be. Not fun being the pregnant SIL due at the same time when I have to show up to family functions with you looking so cute! J/K About the veins...because I am so vain myself...I would put those stockings on pronto. 1) To relieve the pain and 2) to keep them from getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my friends had that low platelet thing that prevented her from having an epidural (that she wanted). I'm sure you'll power through, if anyone can!

    Varicose veins are the worst. I had none with Miriam but terrible ones with Magdalena (and not in my legs, either. Ugh). I found that a homeopathic remedy helped me. But I can't remember the name so you'd have to ask someone who knows better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will do great! My SIL had 2 successful VBACs without the pain meds. I've had all my kids without any pain meds as well, even the twins. It just takes alot of concentration, focus and breathing. Just give me a call and I will be happy to answer any questions. Good luck with everything! It's all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your veins. I've got some from my second pregnancy too but mostly in my left thigh. I highly recommend hypnobabies as well. My unmedicated hypnobirth was so much better than my unmedicated, basically unprepared birth :). If you want me too, I'll get Claudia to give you my kit since she's the one who has it now and doesn't need it anymore. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I think you look great. Second, Emilee Diehl read a book on hypnobirthing and was sold on it. I'd look into that if I were you. Of course, she (Em) delivered naturally with the first baby as well; but she said the second time was way better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have continued getting more and more "vein" with each pregnancy as well (up inside and on my legs). This last one, John got two bar stools for me so I could sit down more (one in the kitchen and one in my bathroom). Sitting while cooking, chopping, washing dishes, putting on make-up, etc. was so helpful and eased the pressure. Another thing that seemed to help is exercising first thing in the morning. It would get blood circulating. Darn it--good luck. Definitely no fun!

    ReplyDelete